Victims of Crime

Immigration Services

Contact Velloza & Associates Today!

Submit your information via the form below.

Atlanta Immigration Lawyers for Crime Victims

In October of 2000, Congress passed the Victims of Trafficking and Violence Protection Act. This Act allows undocumented immigrants who are victims of certain crimes to come forward and assist law enforcement or government officials in investigating and prosecuting these crimes without fear of being deported. The U Visa was created to give these victims lawful immigration status making them free to file criminal charges and provide evidence and testimony in court on behalf of the government.

How Our Atlanta Immigration Law Firm Can Help

If you or someone you care about has been the victim of a crime resulting in physical or mental abuse as an undocumented immigrant, you can turn to Velloza & Associates, LLC, for help. You do not have to remain a victim or have others take advantage of you because of your unlawful immigration status. Our firm can assist you in the U- Visa process and provide the support you need. We can help you fight for justice through this legal measure.

Talk to an Atlanta immigration attorney for crime victims about your case in a confidential consultation. Contact Velloza & Associates, LLC by email or by phone at (404) 620-6822.

The U Visa for Victims of Crimes

The U Visa is a nonimmigrant visa that is available to those with the following eligibility factors:

  • You have endured substantial physical or psychological abuse from being a victim of criminal activity. You can provide information about the crime.
  • You are willing to assist law enforcement in investigating and prosecuting the perpetrators of the crime. The crime took place in this country and violated U.S. law.
  • You are admissible to the U.S. Those who are not admissible may apply for a waiver for Advance Permission to Enter as a Nonimmigrant.

Criminal Activities That Qualify Victims to Seek a U-Visa

Many types of criminal activities qualify victims to seek a U Visa including but not limited to:

  • Abduction
  • Kidnapping
  • Domestic violence
  • False imprisonment
  • Involuntary servitude
  • Rape and sexual assault
  • Sexual exploitation
  • Trafficking
  • Fraud in foreign labor contracting
  • Manslaughter and murder
  • Torture
  • Blackmail

Applying for a U Visa is done through Form I-918, Petition for U Nonimmigrant Status. Crime victims can apply for U Visas from both inside and outside the U.S. Certain direct family members may also be eligible for a visa based on their relationship with you. Once you obtain a U Visa, you may be able to seek a green card for lawful permanent residence in the U.S. We strongly recommend that you speak with one of our Atlanta U Visa attorneys to learn more.

Scroll to Top